Biffens Logo

allow our family to care for yours

allow our family to care for yours

What to do when Somebody dies?

Often, people find themselves unsure of what action to take when someone dies. While we understand these are challenging, and often overwhelming, times, it is important to act promptly. To help you, we have collated some useful information and links that provide some guidance at this time. In addition, from registering the death to dealing with the coroner and planning a funeral, our dedicated team are only a phone call away.

When Somebody Passes Away at Home

When a loved one dies at home on palliative care, the first step would be to call the district nurses or your care provider, who will need to verify the death. You can contact us anytime. Following this, we can then come and take them into our care.

When Somebody Dies at Hospital or in a Care Home

Should the death occur in a hospital or care setting, the on-site staff will take care of all the paperwork on your behalf. They are experienced in dealing with these situations and will support you, including advising you on when to make contact with us. Once instructed, we can then arrange their transportation from the hospital or care home into our care.

Unexpected Deaths and Coroner Inquests

In the event of an unexpected death, it is essential to call the emergency services without delay. Causation will need to be established and verified by a medical professional in the case of sudden or traumatic deaths the coroner will need to be contacted. If the cause of death can not be easily established or the circumstances are unusual, the coroner may need to carry out an inquest.

How to register a death

Deaths must be registered in the area in which they occurred within 5 days of death and either a close relative, a relative in the district the death occurred, the person present at the death, or the person arranging the funeral can do so. The only exception to this timescale is when the coroner is investigating. To register a death in Taunton, Williton, Bridgwater, Yeovil, Burnham on Sea, Chard, Minehead, Frome, Shepton mallet or Glastonbury you can call Somerset County Council on 01823 282 251.

Contact h. biffen & Sons

For more advice and support surrounding what to do when someone dies, please feel free to contact our helpful and dedicated team.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.